Saturday, November 10, 2007

Fletch Hits the Big Apple



RD co-host David Fletcher is spreading his charismatic wit around NYC this weekend. He's at CFI's "The Secular Society and it's Enemies" conference, spreading the gospel of doubt and rubbing elbows with some of my personal heroes; Peter Singer, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Ann Druyan. Of coarse I'm insanely jealous. But Dave is above rubbing it in my face. Instead he wrote me a nice email this morning.


"So, uh, I don't want to brag or anything, but I got Ann Druyan's card

and she told me to call her about the podcast.

Oh, and dinner with Dawkins? Sounds like that's going to happen tonight.

What's going on in Grand Rapids?"

~Fletch

...Laugh it up fanboy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
One of the critical-thinking courageous faithful here :) I came across your podcast today while browsing for sermons, and it intrigued me. I listened to the podcast sample and, while it's clear y'all aren't a bunch of hacks, I was surprised that a faulty argument manifested itself so quickly. The discussion in question covered the issue of Christians being disingenuous as they preach hell, saying "hey, I don't make the rules, but when you die, you're gonna burn in all sorts of nasty ways such as..." I think that observation would be troubling indeed if it truly is the Bible that describes this eternal torment (like, as one of you pointed out, the Nazis melting in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"). But that imagery doesn't come from the Bible. The book itself has little to say about hell (or heaven for that matter). You can thank Dante and church leaders from the Dark Ages for the hellish inventions we think of today. I believe the place exists, but likely not in the way many Christians over the centuries have described it (efforts to scare people into submission, no doubt).

That being said, you seem like a clever group of guys and I respect your "message to believers." I don't know how consistent I can be in keeping you accountable -- in between work, life, sleep and studying my own (don't cringe) apologetics. But I do hope to visit when I can, because I enjoy critical thinking as much as the next guy (or gal). So thanks!

~ Challenger 12